Seawest Marine Services ‘Launch’ program has been developed to propel Indigenous Australians towards a career in the marine industry.
Seawest Marine Services are passionate about increasing cultural awareness and the involvement by Indigenous Australians in the marine sector. We believe in equal opportunity and the end to any employment disadvantages suffered by Indigenous Australians in the past. Our aim is to be the leader in the employment of Indigenous Australians within the Marine industry in Western Australia.
It’s not about ‘black cladding’, it’s about through engagement with the Indigenous community, and the the company has developed policy, programs and initiatives to encourage Indigenous Australians to consider a career in the marine industry.
Central to our ‘Launch’ policy is a strategy of grass roots engagement with Indigenous communities, families and schools combined with facilitating opportunities for training, practical experience and employment within the marine industry.
The aims of ‘Launch’ are
- Seawest Marine Service to become the leader in the employment of Indigenous Australians within the marine industry in Western Australia;
- Set a standard to the rest of the industry in Indigenous employment and engagement;
- A harmonious work environment that promotes a respect for Indigenous culture,
- Continue our programs of engagement with the Indigenous community, so we can improve employment outcomes for all Indigenous Australians.
In February 2014, Seawest Marine services introduced our ‘LAUNCH’ program.
LAUNCH aims to encourage and assist Indigenous Australians in a career in the marine. industry. The first phase of Launch is engagement with the Indigenous community, families and school. The company then provides work experience in the Marine industry. For those that feel the marine industry is for them, we can assist with the training, skills and experience required for employment with our company or the wider marine sector.
- Certificate of Marine Safety Training (STCW95);
- Senior first aid
- Some employees may go on to further qualification as vessel Masters and Engineers.
The Marine industry is an exciting, dynamic and varied sector to work in. Qualified crew enjoy excellent pay and conditions.
To find out more about ‘LAUNCH’ email Seawest- firstname.lastname@example.org